Meet Dr. Georgiev
Although it is one of the most winding paths imaginable, being born and raised in Bulgaria and moving to the U.S. at the age of 10 made Dr. Ivan Georgiev into the professional he is today. After arriving in the U.S., his family moved six times in the first four years. He has lived on both coasts and along the way been exposed to a variety of people and cultures and made many friends.
Ultimately, his love of surgery is what drove Dr. Ivan Georgiev to become an oral surgeon. His educational achievements include:
- Graduating from the University of Connecticut in three and a half years with a double major in molecular and cell biology and in physiology and neurobiology, along with a minor in business.
- Completing a Master of Science in biotechnology from Columbia University in one and a half years.
- Receiving a Doctor of Dental Medicine from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (now integrated into Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences).
- Completing a residency to specialize in oral and maxillofacial surgery at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center.
- Dr. Georgiev is proud of his many awards and accomplishments over his years of education and dental practice.
- Stanley S. Bergen, Jr., MD Medal of Excellence
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon – Omega Omega Chapter (National Dental Honor Society)
- Alpha Epsilon Lambda – Alpha Chi Chapter (Graduate Students Honor Society)
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons – exemplary accomplishments in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Award
- Abdol H. Islami, MD Foundation Scholarship
- Edward Wolfson Endowed Scholarship
- Outstanding Leadership and Dedicated Service Award
- Olympic torchbearer for the 2002 Winter Olympics
- Inaugural keynote speaker for the first class of the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine and keynote speaker at the 2015 white coat ceremony.
- MDAdvisor Journal – Advised the publishing staff and editorial board on topics, themes, and invited papers that addressed the future of medicine and issues affecting new physicians and health care leaders.
- Smile Bangladesh – Surgical team member performing reparative surgeries for people with a cleft lip and palate during mission trips to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
Other achievements aside, taking care of our patients is what Dr. Georgiev enjoys most about his work. He loves interacting with them and making them laugh. His sense of humor is what he believes they enjoy most about his care.
Dr. Georgiev likes spending his free time with his family and friends, playing soccer, visiting new places, reading a good book, and sometimes just relaxing.
Our top priority is making your surgical experience as pleasant as possible while using the most modern anesthetic and surgical care. We emphasize treating every patient as family and aim to exceed all of your expectations.